Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ready for a break

Last Thursday - Jan 24th - I started feeling some steady pain in my chest. Didn't think much of it until it became persistent and started working it's way up the pain Richter scale. Everyone knows not to mess around with chest pain and this being late in the day, I ended up making a visit to the emergency room of our local hospital. By the time I got there the pain was at a whole new level of intensity. In spite of this, within minutes the doctor assured us it was most probably NOT the heart (it wasn't) but a condition called Costochondritis - an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. (According to my husband, this is similar to Costcochondritis, the inflammation in his brain - and wallet - when he goes to Costco.)

After bloodwork, x-rays, prayers and a simple over the counter pain reliever from my purse, the pain died down and they sent me home. I ran a fever the next day, then felt progressively better. I'll see the oncologist tomorrow and see what he makes of it - if anything. My personal take on it is that my poor immune system has had all it can take of chemo and is screaming for a break. There's that fine line between killing the cancer and killing the person.

Overall, I've done remarkably well with all the chemo I've been given. Six months' worth since starting this last program and on and off before that. But I've been hit by a couple of viruses going around which again emphasises that the ol' immune system ain't what it used to be.

Happily, my normal state of affairs is lots of energy, feeling good, and going strong. That's probably why I'm so frustrated when I hit a speed bump and have to slow down. Ah well....perhaps it's for the best.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I hope you do slow down! And start wearing your face mask - and using lots of hand sanitizer. We don't want any more viruses! Damon and I (and Isaiah) miss being with you!

Damon said...

we can always get you a bubble to run around in!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CaLRcvzUyUY